1. I joined Terra Nova’s World of Warcraft guild and within a week of joining, we had a really engaging conversation on the guild forums about real-world buying of virtual goods.
2. I will not be going to the Game Developer’s Conference (GDC) (March, San Francisco) this year… 😦 but that’s because I’m saving money for the Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA) meeting in Tokyo late September! Furthermore, I’ll be meeting Lisa Galarneau in a few days to see about jointly submitting something.
3. I’m also submitting something to Games Learning Society (GLS) held in mid-July by the folks at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. That should be totally cool, and I’ll get a chance to put faces to all the nice folks I’ve been meeting online thru Terra Nova.
4. My guild is having a convention in Las Vegas late April… hoo boy!
5. I met with my committee yesterday and will be taking general exams early next quarter (and reading stuff this quarter). It sounds like my idea of doing ethnographic work with a bunch of guild members who all work for the same company to compare their work life with their game life is a great one. Sweeeeet.